1/1 Photo of Otoro's Ultimate Sausage Gravy
This is classic Southern-style sausage gravy; two thumbs up from my relatives in Tennessee and Kentucky. I'm very proud. It's quick, easy and delicious. Besides the sausage, all other measurements in this recipe are approximate, I don't measure the flour or milk. And a note on the milk: do not use skim, it won't come out right. Spoon this gravy over biscuits, toast or just about anything.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat a 10" to 12" skillet over medium high heat and add sausage.
- 2Break up sausage with a wooden spoon. Add onion after a minute or two.
- 3Once the sausage is cooked, use a teaspoon to heavily dust the sausage with flour.
- 4Stir to incorporate the flour, you want it to coat the sausage and soak up the grease.
- 5Once the flour has turned a very light brown (about 2-3 minutes) add the milk and bring to a boil.
- 6Turn the heat down to medium and continue to stir, it should thicken up quite quickly. If the gravy seems to thick, add more milk.
- 7Add the hot pepper sauce (I like Frank's) and 8-10 grinds of coarse black pepper. Stir and serve immediately. Bon Appetito.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Otoro's Ultimate Sausage Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (234 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 556.0
- Calories from Fat 360
- Total Fat 40.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 125.2 mg
- Sodium 955.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 29.9 g