Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this on wolfgangpuck.com and then while making it changed it around a little. It is delish and a little time consuming but that is why it is wise to double the recipe. This can be used as a side or a main dish. I didn't include cooling time for the peppers, that would be about 20 minutes.
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 ounces orzo pasta
- 1⁄8 cup chopped pimento stuffed olive, drained & chopped
- pimento stuffed olive, Garnish
- 1⁄8 cup black olives, pitted, drained and chopped
- pitted black olives, garnish
- 3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground coarse black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley leaves, garnish
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth
- Roast peppers over flame of gas burner, or hot grill, or under the broiler until the skin is blackened and charred.
- Remove from heat and place in a large bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit until cool enough to handle, about 15-20 minutes.
- With clean paper towels wipe off skin.
- Remove stems and seeds & chop.
- Set aside.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat, add olive oil.
- When hot enough, add onions and cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add diced peppers & minced garlic and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Bring to a boil a large pot with water or chicken or vegetable broth and add the orzo and cook, for about 4-5 minutes, partially cooking, to al dente.
- Drain and reserve pasta water.
- Add orzo to peppers, adding 1 cup of the pasta water.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until pasta is cooked tender and consistency is creamy.
- Stir in olives and goat cheese until melted and well blended.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- Garnish with parsley, olives and a drizzle of olive oil.
We loved this recipe! We substituted farfallini for the orzo (due to the price) and it worked just fine. Next time we are going to experiment with adding grilled eggplant to give it just a little more umphf. It was very easy to prepare.