Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This was one of my favorite side dishes served at our wedding. I plan to make it a lot. Pistachios and grapes are such a surprise in pasta salad but we love it!
- Toast pistachios: Take 1 cup of pistachios and put in a saucepan with the walnut oil.
- Warm the oil and nuts together, be careful not to boil.
- Saute garlic in a little olive oil.
- Prepare orzo from package instructions.
- When orzo has been drained, mix in enough of the pistachio/walnut oil mixture to coat the pasta.
- Add lemon juice to taste.
- Mix in sauteed garlic.
- Add grapes, and half the basil.
- Chill for several hours, or overnight.
- Before serving, add rest of basil, salt and pepper to taste, and the rest of the pistachios.
I loved this salad - great blend of flavors. I was able to buy shelled pistachios so it was a breeze to make. It was made early in the morning so it sat for about 12 hours before eating. It was very well received at the party we took it to. I added more grapes and did the rest as is. One batch makes a large bowl so I feel it makes a lot more than 6 servings. I think some roasted chicken shredded and put in this salad could turn it into a main course pretty easily. Thanks so much for sharing Gay!
This was really really good! I halved the recipe and it made a ton. Next time I will cut the grapes in half.
Great recipe. I couldn't find walnut oil so just used olive oil and skipped the bit with the walnut oil and the nuts. I added poached, cubed chicken to the ingredient list. I made most of the salad b4 hand, everything except the garapes and nuts. B4 serving I mixed in halved red grapes and the nuts. It was very good, but even better a few hours later when we had the leftovers for dinner. I think the nuts needed the extra time to soak in some dressing. Next time I will do everything the same except I'll add the grapes and nuts in the morning b4 serving for lunch or dinner. Thanks for posting this great recipe. I'm sure I'll make it again and again.