Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are cabbage rolls stuffed with an oriental pork and shrimp filling. You can eat these out of hand if they aren't to tender or with a fork. Serve with duck sauce, Chinese hot-mustard sauce, and/or the soy dipping sauce included with the recipe. Enjoy. Try my Scallion Rice on the side =) The carbs in the nutritional info is from the water chestnuts. You can leave them out to reduce the majority of the carbs. It adds 22 carbs per serving. Click the extended info link under the info to see in depth info :)
- 1 head napa cabbage
- 2 -3 cups chicken broth
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped (you can grate or use a press )
- 1 inch chunk fresh ginger, peeled and grated plus
- 1 small chunk ginger, thinly sliced
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced (reserve 1 Tablespoon for dipping sauce)
- 1⁄2 lb medium-small shrimp, tails and shells removed, deveined and roughly chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1 egg
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- 2 tablespoons chili paste (or you can use a few pinches of red pepper flakes)
- 4 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 1 lime zest and juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free honey (you can use regular honey)
- Fill a large lidded deep skillet with chicken stock about halfway up the pot and place it over high heat to bring it to a boil.
- Remove eight of the outer leaves of the cabbage (look for leaves that aren't torn).
- Cut off the thick end where the leaf was attached to the stem. Thinly slice the remaining head of cabbage until you've got about 2 cups and reserve.
- Drop the eight whole cabbage leaves into the boiling broth and cook for 2 minutes, until tender. Remove the cabbage leaves and place them into a bowl of ice water (or run them under cold water ) to stop them from cooking. Reserve broth and pan!
- Blot the leaves dry and reserve.
- To a food processor, add the garlic, grated ginger, and scallions to the bowl. Pulse the machine until the veggies are chopped up then add the shrimp and water chestnuts. Run the machine until the shrimp is ground into a paste then turn everything out into a mixing bowl.
- Add the pork, egg, shredded cabbage, carrots, sherry, chili paste, 2 tablespoons sesame oil, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, lime zest and juice. Combine the ingredients until evenly mixed.
- Lay out cabbage leaves on the counter. Divide the meat and veggie mixture among the leaves. Roll them up -- starting at the leafy end and rolling towards the stem end -- just like you'd roll up a burrito, tucking the sides in as you go. Secure it closed with a toothpick, if necessary.
- Return the rolls to the large, lidded skillet.
- Over medium-high heat, make sure there is enough chicken stock to fill it by about an inch, bring it to a bubble. Place the cabbage rolls into the boiling stock and put the lid on the pan. Steam the rolls until the meat has cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- While everything cooks, in a small serving bowl stir together the remaining soy sauce, sesame oil and T of scallions with the honey, ginger slices and a splash of water. Put this dipping sauce onto a serving platter along with duck sauce and Chinese hot-mustard. Serve the Napa rolls on the platter with scallion rice on the side.