Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A sweet potato and carrot soup
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons gingerroot, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 4 cups sweet potatoes, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 6 cups vegetable stock or 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- salt and pepper
- In a large soup pot, sautee the onions, ginger, garlic, curry powder, chili powder, and paprika in the butter until the onions are translucent.
- Add the remaining vegetables and toss to coat and cook about 10 minutes.
- Add stock and cook until everything is soft.
- Take the pot off the flame and puree either using an immersion blender or in batches using a standing blender.
- Taste and correct the seasoning with brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- Note: This may take more stock to thin to desired consistency, so have some handy. My sweet potatoes were not very sweet, so I added the brown sugar.
- For Vegetarian do not use the chicken broth.