Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a wonderful rice dish that can be served with Poultry as a side dish or used as a stuffing. I made this up about 30 years ago to make something extra when I was looking for a stuffing for Cornish Game Hens for a party. Over the years, I've settled on this recipe. Everyone loves it when I cook it, so I thought I would share.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup rice
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1 cup raisins or 1 cup dried apricot
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 (10 ounce) can mandarin oranges
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Melt butter in a pan over medium heat. Add rice to the butter and saute until the rice becomes golden brown. Stir frequently to avoid becoming over brown.
- Add Orange Zest, dried fruit and stir for 2 minutes. This will allow the zest to give up it's oils.
- Add Chicken broth, Orange Juice, salt, pepper and mandarin oranges to the rice mixture. Let mixture come to a boil, then turn heat down to low.
- Allow mixture to cook uncovered until the liquid level reaches the top of the rice, then cover with a tight lid.
- Rice is ready to be used as a stuffing at this point. Stuff poultry loosely, as the rice will continue to swell as it finishes cooking.
- If dish is going to be used as a side dish, continue cooking for another 15 minutes, then turn off burner and allow to set until you are ready to serve.