Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Delicious flavor from the orange juice. I used reconstituted frozen OJ. I forgot to cut mine into triangular pieces before I baked them. It didn't seem to make any difference, they are very easy to cut after being baked.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup raisins
- Sift dry ingredients, cut in butter with pastry cutter or two knives.
- In a small bowl mix egg slightly and then add orange juice.
- Make a well in center of flour mixture and add liquid ingredients.
- Stir lightly, add raisins and mix just until raisins are incorporated .
- This will be quite sticky, turn out onto well floured surface.
- Split in half.
- You can use a cookie sheet now and with well floured hands push each into a circle about 6-8 inches, they should be about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut into 8 triangular pieces but do not separate.
- Bake at 425°-450° for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven when they are a nice golden color.
These are wonderful scones. They are up there with the best I've ever made. I love the orange flavour in these. I baked them an extra 5 min because it was a dense dough...used 2 cups whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup each of spelt and rice flours. Thanks for posting this!