Recipe by Dorel
Delicious flavor from the orange juice. I used reconstituted frozen OJ. I forgot to cut mine into triangular pieces before I baked them. It didn't seem to make any difference, they are very easy to cut after being baked.
Top Review by woodland hues
These are wonderful scones. They are up there with the best I've ever made. I love the orange flavour in these. I baked them an extra 5 min because it was a dense dough...used 2 cups whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup each of spelt and rice flours. Thanks for posting this!
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift dry ingredients, cut in butter with pastry cutter or two knives.
- In a small bowl mix egg slightly and then add orange juice.
- Make a well in center of flour mixture and add liquid ingredients.
- Stir lightly, add raisins and mix just until raisins are incorporated .
- This will be quite sticky, turn out onto well floured surface.
- Split in half.
- You can use a cookie sheet now and with well floured hands push each into a circle about 6-8 inches, they should be about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut into 8 triangular pieces but do not separate.
- Bake at 425°-450° for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven when they are a nice golden color.