Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I am posting this recipe as a correction to one posted by another user. I found this recipe on southernfood.about.com after I did a web search because something didn't look right in the original recipe posted here. It is an exceptionally tasty dish, and something very different from your standard 'Pot Roast' fare. Try it when you want a change of flavor. Feel free to dress it up with your favorite vegetables or side dishes.
- 1 can frozen orange juice concentrate, 6 oz
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 3 1⁄2 lbs bottom round steaks or 3 1⁄2 lbs chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup madeira wine
- 2 oranges, sliced
- In a medium bowl, combine orange juice concentrate, orange juice, orange peel, onions, salt, pepper, cloves, coriander and cumin.
- Pour mixture over chuck roast and allow to marinate overnight (at least 6 hours) in the refrigerator.
- Remove meat from marinade; reserve liquid.
- Heat oil and butter in a large skillet on high; brown meat on all sides.
- Transfer meat to the slow cooker/Crock Pot and pour reserved marinade on top.
- Cover and cook on low for 9 to 11 hours, or until meat is tender.
- Remove to a warm platter and prepare sauce.
- Turn slow cooker/Crock Pot to high.
- Combine cornstarch and water; stir into the sauce mix.
- Add Madeira and orange slices and continue cooking for 15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Pour sauce over meat.
- Serves 6 to 8.