Recipe by Realtor by day, Chef by night
This is the recipe for the famous Orange Crunch Cake from the Bubble Room in Captiva Island, Florida. It has developed quite a cult following. We love it. I hope you do, too. The added bonus-it's pretty easy to put together.
Top Review by WhiteSnake
Baked this for Thanksgiving and it was a hit! I really liked the bright citrus flavor and the texture the crunch layer gave the cake. I brought the orange flavor out even by adding homemade orange powder to the cake mix and to the topping. This will go into my Go To list for cakes. This is a winner and if there were more starts to give, I would give it to this cake.
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (actual recipe) or 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds (actual recipe)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 Pillsbury Plus yellow cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 pillsbury ready to spread vanilla frosting
- 1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 3 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
Directions See How It's Made
- : Combine crunch layer ingredients. Press 1/2 into each bottom of 2 greased and floured 8" or 9" pans.
- : In a large bowl, blend cake ingredients at low speed until moistened. Beat 2 mins at high speed. Pour into pans.
- : Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes Cool 10 minutes Remove from pans and cool completely.
- : In small bowl, mix frosting & topping. Fold in lemon & orange peels.
- : Place one layer, crunch side up, on plate. Spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Top with remaining layer, crunch side up. Spread top and sides with remaining frosting.