Recipe by Retro Kali
This is different from the other recipes posted here; it uses sour cream, frozen coconut, and o.j. in the frosting. This cake needs to be refrigerated, and it is a bit tricky to get the right consistency for the frosting, adjust the ingredients until you get the right consistency for you. Draining the coconut before mixing it in might help. Seriously, this is the best creamsicle cake ever!
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box orange cake mix
- 1 (3 ounce) box orange Jell-O
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
For the Frosting
- 1 (8 ounce) carton Cool Whip
- 4 -8 ounces sour cream
- 12 ounces frozen coconut, thawed
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cake mix, eggs, water, jello and oil. Beat well with mixer.
- Pour into two 9 greased and floured 9" cake pans.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 for 30 minutes or until done.
- Cool and cut in half horizontally, to make four layers. Frost between layers, top and sides. Store in the refrigerator.
- For Frosting:.
- Mix drained coconut, and sour cream.
- in a separate bowl combine orange juice and sugar, stir until dissolved.
- Combine all ingredients, adding more if too stiff.