10 hrs 55 mins
10 hrs 30 mins
Buster's friend's Note:
The crowning touch for creamy Thanksgiving mashed taters & crispy-edged dressing! Long simmer until the neck & hock fall apart helps perfume the air as the turkey cooks. Getting the extra gizzards used to be a trip to the local supermarket - upon returning to NC I've learned to go to Whole Foods where many folks eschew the giblets when picking up their "free range" turkeys. I get them cheap & freeze extra for deeper in the winter pates & gravies! *Start this the night before Thanksgiving so the giblets can cool before making gravy - goal is to complete gravy while bird is resting before being carved***
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs turkey giblets (heart, gizzards, liver, neck)
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 1 quart water
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 onions, medium unpeeled
- 8 cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 celery ribs, rinsed but whole
- 1 carrot, split lengthwise
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (not self-rising)
- 2 cups pan drippings from turkey (at least 1/2 cup turkey grease or butter)
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1Stud the UNPEELED onions with cloves.
- 2Rinse giblets & put in crockpot with ham hock, onions, carrot, celery, nutmeg, salt & water.
- 3Cook overnight (10hours) on low.
- 4Once cool, pick the tender but stringy meat from the neckbones & ham hock. Finely chop the livers, heart & gizzards. SAVE THE COOKING BROTH! Discard vegies, they are done.
- 5Combine the neck meat, ham hock meat & chopped gizzards. Refrigerate.
- 6In a separate container refrigerate broth until ready to complete the gravy.
- 7Don't worry if broth has jellied in the fridge, simply scoop out 1/2 cup increments to make gravy.
- 8Once turkey is done & pulled from oven, pull 1/2 cup turkey grease from pan (I use a fat separator to get turkey grease & pan juices) & put in large skillet.
- 9On medium heat, add 1/2 cup of flour & stir constantly until a nice peanut buttery brown roux develops. Don't walk away & burn it because this will make a bitter gravy.
- 10Add broth - initally 2 cups, preferably separated drippings from roasting pan, then 1/2 cup of broth at a time & simmer over medium heat until thickend to desired consistency.
- 11Add giblets & heat through.
- 12Season to taste with coarse ground black pepper & additional salt if desired. Place in warmed gravy boat & serve steaming hot alongside turkey, taters & stuffing. Enjoy! Happy Thanksgiving!
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange County (Nc That Is) Turkey Giblet Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (191 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 181.1
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 218.6 mg
- Sodium 350.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 16.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked ham hock
pan drippings from turkey