Top Review by Cilantro in Canada
Everyone loved these. The dough was very easy to roll out. I made the dough exactly as written and they were wonderful. I found that when I cut them some of the cinnamon mixture fell out, so next time I will probably mix the cinnamon with the softened butter and sugar and then spread it on the dough. I ran out of orange zest for the glaze so I added a little orange extract. Thanks for a great recipe.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 -3 teaspoons orange zest, divided
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted (or very soft)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk or 1 -2 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt; cut in shortening.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons orange zest to milk, stir.
- Stir milk mixture into flour mixture with fork just until dough leaves sides of bowl, dough might be slightly sticky.
- Roll dough out, on lightly floured surface, into a 1/4 inch thick rectangle.
- Brush top with butter (I prefer to use soft butter and spread it).
- Combine 1 teaspoons orange zest and sugar, stir to distribute the zest, mix in cinnamon; sprinkle evenly over dough.
- Roll up, starting on long side.
- Cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds.
- Place rounds, with sides just touching, in greased 9" round pan.
- Bake at 425°F for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven, cool for about 10 minutes and drizzle with glaze, serve warm.