Orange Tea Biscuits
- Ready In:
- 2 cups flour, white
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar, white, fine
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon orange rind
- 2 tablespoons candied orange peel, finely chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cold
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk, cold
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 10 sugar cubes, white (optional)
- 1 tablespoon orange juice (optional)
- In large bowl combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tarter, orange rind and orange peel, stirring well.
- Cut in butter until crumbly.
- Mix buttermilk and orange juice together, stir to mix well and pour over flour mixture, combing quickly, dough will be soft.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, knead gently 10 times and pat into 1/2" or 3/4 " thickness.
- Cut the dough with a 3" cookie round.
- Brush biscuits with milk.
- Dip sugar cube in orange juice and press into top of biscuit.
- Bake on greased cookie sheet at 450 degrees.
- for 13 - 15 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Delicious! I don't make biscuits or cakes often so I was way outside my comfort zone and not at all sure how these would turn out! I did, therefore, really appreciate the very clear, easy-to-follow instructions. I reduced the salt and omitted the sugar cubes but otherwise made these exactly to the recipe. Quick and easy to make, and I wouldn't change a thing, unless I were perhaps in the mood to add more orange zest! Thanks for sharing this recipe, Baby Kato.
I made these to go with some fried chicken, and WOW,are these ever good. The orange flavor is absolutely fantastic. The only adjustment I made was I did not use the extra tablespoon of orange juice. I was really surprised how tasty and flavorful they were. I had some peach jelly, so I had some with the jelly. Extra tasty. Great Recipe !