Basic Tea Biscuits
photo by Elly in Canada
- Ready In:
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup light cream
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Cut in shortening with two knives or a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Make a well in the centre and add liquid all at once. Stir vigorously until dough comes freely from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured board and roll or pat to 1/2-inch thick.
- Cut out 2-inch biscuits with a floured water glass or biscuit cutter.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until tops are golden brown.
- Serve immediately with butter, jam or honey.
- Variations: Cheese Tea Biscuits Use only 3/4 tsp salt and 1/4 cup shortening.
- Add 3/4 cup shredded cheese (yellow or marble) to dry ingredients.
- Buttermilk Tea Biscuits Use only 2 tsp baking powder Add 1/2 tsp baking soda Replace milk with 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk.
- Raisin or Nut Tea Biscuits Add to dry ingredients 1/4 cup sugar; and 3/4 cup seedless raisins or chopped nuts Use only 7/8 cup milk Whole Wheat Tea Biscuits Replace 1 cup of white flour with 1 cup whole wheat flour.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!