The creamy rice is flavored with fresh orange juice and zest. The smokey chipotle in adobo complements the orange. Saffron giving this a beautiful color. The cheese adds to the creaminess and saltiness so take care when seasoning.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion (1 cup)
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 3 cups hot water or 3 cups hot chicken broth, adding more if needed
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon saffron thread, optional will enhance a pretty color and fragrance
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo (use sauce taste)
- 3 ounces asiago cheese, 1/2 cup grated
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, 1/4 cup chopped
- Rice Cooker:.
- Saute onions in butter in an open rice cooker, then add Arborio rice and liquids, zest, saffron, and chipotle pepper and sauce. Cook for about 25 minutes in an on/off cooker or use the "slow" or "porridge" cycle if your machine has one which should be 1 hour.
- Mix in grated cheese and herbs at the end. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stove Top:.
- Heat butter in a heavy non stick pot. Add onions and cook till translucent. Add rice and stir till coated. Add zest, saffron, and chipotle pepper and sauce. Add 1 cup of liquid at a time stirring on medium heat until absorbed. Continue cooking and adding liquid till desired tenderness is achieved. Stir in cheese and parsley season to taste with salt and pepper.