Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Flakey and light scones with a subtle orange flavor ... from my friend Janette.
Make and share this Orange and Raisin Scones recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup butter, diced
- 1 large orange, zest of, grated (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup raisins (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- milk, for glazing
- Preheat the oven to 425degrees.
- Grease and flour a large baking sheet.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the butter and cut in until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs. (I prefer to freeze my butter and grate it into the dry ingredients).
- Add the orange rind and raisins.
- Ggradually stir in the buttermilk to form a soft dough.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to a thickness of about ¾ inch.
- Stamp out circles of dough with a plain cookie cutter.
- Place the dough circles on the prepared baking dish and brush the top with milk.
- bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden.
- Serve hot or warm with butter or whipped cream, and jam or honey.