Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Great flavored slices of onion pan fried. Serve this along side a steak or a burger.Have it as a side dish for an brunch or dinner buffet. This recipe is adapted from one published in the July 06 Bon Apetit Magazine. Try it I'm sure you will enjoy it.
- 28.39 ml olive oil
- 29.58 ml butter, melted
- 59.14 ml Dijon mustard
- 59.14 ml honey
- 14.79 ml fresh summer savory, chopped
- 7.39 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 4 slice vidalia onions (apprx 2 onions) or 4 slice other sweet onions, half inch slices (apprx 2 onions)
- Mix together the oil, butter, Dijon, honey savory & Worcestershire sauce; beat until well blended.
- Pour into a shallow dish large enough to hold the 4 onion slices flat in the marinade.
- Run a water soaked bamboo skewer through each onion slice from one side to the other to hold the slice together. Trim off any protruding bits of the skewers.
- Place onion slices it in the marinade and refrigerate until 15 minutes before serving or proceed to cook them now. They may be prepared the day before and kept overnight.
- Flip the slices a few time to evenly coat the slices with the marinade.
- Over medium heat warm a lightly oiled skillet.
- Remove onion slices from the marinade and fry the slices until golden on both sides approx 7 minutes each side.
- Be careful that they do not burn-the honey tends to caramelize quickly. If necessary turn the heat a bit lower.
- Serve & enjoy.
SO GOOD! I was in Savannah, GA and they served roasted Vidalia onions and they were so good so when I saw this I knew it would be a winner. Thanks Bergy for a wonderful treat.