Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is great on burgers or paninis, especially ham and cheese. Also use on top of grilled chicken. It looks best with the onion cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch wedges, rather than rings. It will keep in fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- 14.79 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 473.18 ml onions, sliced
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml soy sauce
- 29.58 ml balsamic vinegar
- 29.58 ml red wine vinegar
- 29.58 ml water
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 5-8 minutes, until tender and translucent. Add the sugar and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook, stirring often to avoid scorching, for 20 minutes, or until thick and jamlike. The slower it is cooked, the richer the jam will be.
- Store tightly covered in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
It took some time to make (somewhat longer than indicated) but the result was well worth it. Made exactly as stated and would not change anything besides that I will try to double or even triple the recipe. It was gone in no time so what do you mean it keeps for up to two weeks.........
We had it as a condiment to our (vegetarian) burgers and it went so well with the burger, cheese and a small salad.
Thanks for posting.
Made for My-Three-Chefs, June 2012.