photo by Ambervim
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons oil (vegetable)
- 10 medium sized onions (just under 2 kilos)
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Peel and thinly slice your onions (I use a Mandolin for this).
- In a large heavy based pot, heat the oil and add the onions, stir frequently over a medium heat until caramalised (15-20 minutes).
- Add the mustard seeds and fry for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar and cook for another 2 minutes (it needs to be well dissolved).
- Add the remaining ingredients and reduce to a low simmer and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Carefully pour the hot onion jam into prepared jars ( hot sterilized jars if you want to keep them on your shelf - will keep for 6 months) or a clean jar if you want to pop it into your fridge and use it within 2-4 hours (or once chilled). Keeps in the fridge for 4 weeks. Once a jar is opened, this jam must be refridgerated.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg alt=/ /> <br /><br />As a toddler, my nic-name was Pompom (my Poppy had a golf hat with a pompom and it was one of my first words, and it stuck as my nic name). My Poppy has long since passed, but I fondly remember him every time I log on. I'm a stay at home mum of four aged: 10, 8, 7 and almost 6. I have a severe egg allergy and am lactose intolerant, I enjoy working out ways to still enjoy food minus eggs and milk. I have been married for 14 years and have one very happy and well fed hubby.<br />My goal is to try one new recipe a week, for the past 8 years have achieved this. I own over 300 cookbooks, but no longer purchase them - but regularly print out recipes to try later.<br />When I am not cooking, I am busy household of 6 and going to the gym (to work off the wonderful calories I consumed the day before) and helping at school and church.<br />My philosophy in life is: as we have to eat, we may as well eat well.</p>