Red Onion Jam
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 cups sliced red onions (1 1/2 pounds)
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced ginger
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon small basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Heat oil in dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add onion.
- Cook 20-25 minutes or until golden brown, stir frequently.
- Add vinegar, sugar, ginger and garlic.
- Cook 2 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates.
- Stir in basil, salt and pepper.
- Serve with steak or pork tenderloin.
Join The Conversation
Very good. Made it just as stated. I tasted the jam when it was almost ready and thought, hm, something's missing. Read the recipe again and found that I had forgotten to add the brown sugar. When having done that and tasted again, yes, this is perfect! Wouldn't change a thing. Had some with a vegetable casserole when it was still warm and some on crackers when it had cooled off. It is sweet (not overly), spicy, yes definitely something to make again. Thanks for posting. Made for P-A-R-T-Y- Holiday tag, December2009.
SO good!! I had a "red onion jam" at a restaurant in Williamsburg, VA and decided to try to find the recipe. Their jam was 10 times sweeter and bright red, so I was skeptical about this one. I was so happy with the result. I liked it not being so sweet and it was easy to prepare. I added a handful of dried cranberries after cooking and served with roasted turkey. It was also great on Ritz (I ate about half of it before my husband got home!) Next time, I would add the cranberries sooner so they will plump up. Thanks so much Michele! I really enjoyed this!