Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe my mother made when we were children. It was so moist it never needed frosting. Mom would use a paper doily to make a pretty powdered sugar design on the top. I have found a couple online, but they just were not as good.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Thoroughly mix dry ingredients in an ungreased 8 x 11" pan. Make 3 wells in the dry mixture and pour the vegetable oil in one, the vanilla in a different one and the vinegar in the last one. Pour the cold water over all and stir with fork until well blended.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Cake is done when center springs back when lightly touched. Do not test with a toothpick or knife.
What a great recipe to have and share. I thought it was so easy & tasted so good I sent it to my busy sister and my sweet mom, they both loved it. I think the better the chocolate the better the cake! I also dissolved a little instant coffee in the water to enhance the chocolate flavor. Then I made a quick cocoa frosting to make it special.
I made this recipe exactly as written with no deviations. What a great cake! I do not like frosting, but I adore chocolate cake! This was fast, easy to put together and I had everything on hand. This cake was moist, light and very flavorful. A definite keeper! UPDATE*** 7/22/08: I made this cake again and drizzled some lines of Hershey's chocolate syrup on top before baking. I then used a skewer to make swirls and placed the cake in the oven. YUMMY! It is simply delicious. This recipe has many possibilities for additions. Very versatile and the swirls make a pretty presentation.
Easy recipe, delicious most cake! It was exactly what my family wanted and I was glad it didn't call for any eggs (since I was out at the time.)