Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
From "The Complete Book of Greek Cooking" This a specialty from the island of Cyprus.
- 2 cups chopped pitted black olives
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup grated onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups olive oil, plus additional
- 3 tablespoons chopped of fresh mint or 2 teaspoons crushed dried mint
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons double-acting baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Rinse olives and drain.
- Dry on paper towels.
- Combine all ingredients, adding baking powder last.
- Brush muffin cups with oil and dust with flour.
- (Do NOT use paper baking cups.) Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden.
- Serve warm.
- Variation: Recipe can be baked in 9x5 inch loaf pans.
- Increase baking time by 15 minutes.
- This recipe can be used to make muffins.
- or it will make 2 small loaves of bread.