Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Better Homes and Garden New Cookbook 1979 edition
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 medium onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 carrots
- 6 potatoes
- 1 lb frozen pearl onions
- 2 cups frozen peas (optional)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- In a dutch oven brown stew meat in hot shortening, turning often making sure all sides are very brown.
- Slice onion very thin and pull apart rings.
- Add 2 cups hot water, Worcestershire, garlic, onion, bay leaf, salt, sugar paprika and pepper. Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours, stirring occationally to keep from sticking.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Peel and quarter carrots.
- Peel and slice potatoes into 2 inch pieces.
- Add carrots, potatoes and pearl oinoins on top of beef in dutch oven.
- Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper. Cover and cook 30-45 minutes low/medium heat, or until vegetables are tender.
- Slowly blend 1/3 cup cold water into 3 tablespoons flour.
- In dutch oven push vegetables to one side and slowly stir flour mixture into the other side with liquid. Cook and stir all ingredients until bubbly.
- Add frozen peas, stir and cook three minutes longer.
Very nice stew that we enjoyed. I skipped the sugar, lowered at amount of salt and omitted the pearl onions. The one onion was plenty for DH. I would have liked adding celery but the peas were an interesting and tasty addition of something green which I always like in a stew. This makes a lot, I made 4 servings and got enough for 6! I need to say that the aroma is a delight. When DH came in it was near the end of cooking time and he started sniffing and making "mmmmm" sounds. Made for PAC. Spring '10.