1/1 Photo of Old Time Beef Stew
1 hr 15 mins
red and white kitchen's Note:
Better Homes and Garden New Cookbook 1979 edition
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a dutch oven brown stew meat in hot shortening, turning often making sure all sides are very brown.
- 2Slice onion very thin and pull apart rings.
- 3Add 2 cups hot water, Worcestershire, garlic, onion, bay leaf, salt, sugar paprika and pepper. Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours, stirring occationally to keep from sticking.
- 4Remove bay leaf.
- 5Peel and quarter carrots.
- 6Peel and slice potatoes into 2 inch pieces.
- 7Add carrots, potatoes and pearl oinoins on top of beef in dutch oven.
- 8Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper. Cover and cook 30-45 minutes low/medium heat, or until vegetables are tender.
- 9Slowly blend 1/3 cup cold water into 3 tablespoons flour.
- 10In dutch oven push vegetables to one side and slowly stir flour mixture into the other side with liquid. Cook and stir all ingredients until bubbly.
- 11Add frozen peas, stir and cook three minutes longer.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Time Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (433 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 802.1
- Calories from Fat 392
- Total Fat 43.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.6 g
- Cholesterol 157.3 mg
- Sodium 1332.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 46.3 g