Recipe by mightyro_cooking4u
This is the way my mother taught me to do liver and onions. I enjoy this with rice and grits. You can make your gravy as thick or thin as you like. I like mine kind of thick to coat the rice or grits.
Top Review by WiggiesStickeyRibs
This is an excellent way to prepare liver My family really enjoyed it this way. The gravy was great over mashed potatoes. Served with stewed tomatoes and it was one meal to remember for my family of liver lovers!
- 1 lb beef liver
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- flour, enough to coat liver
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Kitchen Bouquet, enough to color to your liking
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in skillet. Season liver with and pepper. Coat both sides of liver with flour. When oil is heated, fry liver until browned on both sides. Remove liver, set aside.
- Add onions and peppers, saute until tender. Remove onion mixture.
- Combine water and cornstarch, stir to dissolve cornstarch, add to skillet. Bring to a boil, if the mixture becomes too thick, add more water to pan. Re-season water, if needed. Add kitchen bouquet to desired color.
- Add liver back to pan, put onion mixture on top of liver. Simmer for 20 minutes.