Prep 25 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This recipe is from "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook". It is good for those who fear making traditional stuffing. You may add more or less chicken broth depending on whether you like really moist stuffing or a drier stuffing. It is a versatile recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter or 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, minced
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tart apples, peeled, cored, and chopped or 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into small cubes
- 1 (7 ounce) package seasoned stuffing mix or 2 cups crumbled day-old cornbread
- 1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄2-1 3⁄4 cups turkey broth or 1 1⁄2-1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth, as needed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- In a large skillet, heat the butter until melted over medium-high heat; Add the onions, celery, and apple and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Put the bread and stuffing mix in a large bowl; Add the parsley, dried herbs, salt, and pepper and toss to combine.
- Pour the sauteed vegetables over the bread cubes and mix together; Add the egg and enough of the broth, stirring, until the ingredients are evenly moistened. Taste to adjust the seasonings.
- Coat the slow cooker with butter, olive oil, or nonstick cooking spray.
- Pack the stuffing lightly into the cooker which allows for expansion as it heats up.
- Dot with butter pieces and sprinkle with a few more tablespoons of chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour.
- Reduce the heat to LOW and cook until puffy and nicely brown around the edges, 4-5 hours.
- NOTE: The dressing can sit in the coooker, covered, on KEEP WARM for 2-3 hours before serving.
- Serve hot right out of the crock if you wish.
- FACTS: A 1-lb. loaf of bread will yield about 6 cups of cubed bread, 1 1/2-lb.=10 cups, 2-lb.=12 cups.
- White bread will give a lighter textured stuffing than whole wheat or whole grain.
- You will serve about 1/2 to 1 cup of stuffing per person.