1/3 Photos of Old Fashioned Pound Cake & Raspberry Trifle
3 hrs 45 mins
Elegant, rich, and BEYOND description--don't let the long list of ingredients or directions put you off--this is WELL worth the effort!!!--my family looks forward to our annual FIRST raspberry picking of the year--because THIS is the first thing I make, and we gobble it up! The authentic old-time kind of pound cake--makes three loaf-pans. Use one for this recipe, freeze the other two for future use (you'll want to make this more than once!). Trifle makes enough for ONE large serving bowl. Cooking time is "chilling time"
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups butter
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla (or brandy extract)
- 9 eggs, slightly beaten
Whipped Cream Layer
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
Cream Cheese Layer
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zest of, chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or lemon)
- 4 teaspoons baking cocoa
- fresh berries
- 1Line bottoms & sides of three 8x4 loaf pans with parchment paper--do NOT grease; preheat oven to 325; place oven rack in lower position.
- 2In a large bowl, mix pound cake dry ingredients; set aside.
- 3In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy & fluffy, scraping bowl several times; add flavorings, then eggs three at a time--continue beating (a curdled appearance will be "beaten" out with thorough mixing).
- 4Now begin adding the flour in about half-cup portions, mixing well after each.
- 5Turn batter into prepped pans, quickly pushing it higher around edges than in center (this will keep the top level).
- 6Bake for 20 minutes, then increase oven temp to 350, bake 40 minutes longer (crack on top will be slightly browned--showing no moistness).
- 7Cool for 5 minutes on cooling rack, then remove from pans to finish cooling--DO NOT REMOVE PAPER!
- 8When cooled, wrap waxed paper around two of the loaves, and then plastic wrap & freeze. Slice the remaining loaf into 12-15 slices, then cubes; set aside.
- 9WHIPPED CREAM LAYER: In a mixing bowl, beat cream with sugar until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- 10CREAM CHEESE LAYER: In another bowl, beat cream cheese, lemon juice, vanilla and sugar. Add about 2 cups of the whipped cream and the lemon zest--fold in; set aside.
- 11BERRY LAYER: Set aside one cup of berries for garnish. Sprinkle remaining berries with sugar, then lightly mash/crush them. Let them sit for about 30 minutes to get juicy---if you're short of time, add the water and this makes a nice juice too.
- 12JUST IN CASE: Check berries for bugs and inch-worms! They will float to the top of the juices. (Sorry to gross you out! But so much better you pick them out ahead than have them "appear" in the dessert!).
- 13ASSEMBLE THE TRIFLE: Sprinkle a layer of pound cake cubes in the bottom of a 3-quart glass serving bowl.
- 14Drizzle 3-4 tablespoons of berry juice over the cubes.
- 15Spread one fourth of cream cheese mixture over the cake cubes.
- 16Sprinkle one teaspoon of cocoa over this, then some crushed berries.
- 17REPEAT this twice. Add about half of the reserved berries to the last layer.
- 18Top with remaining cream cheese, whipped cream and sifted cocoa; remaining berries added as a garnish before serving.
- 19Cover & refrigerate for about 3 hours, altho' this is ready-to-eat now (taste really does improve!).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Pound Cake & Raspberry Trifle
Serving Size: 1 (253 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 999.6
- Calories from Fat 534
- Total Fat 59.4 g
- Saturated Fat 35.8 g
- Cholesterol 322.3 mg
- Sodium 685.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 105.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 64.9 g
- Protein 13.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of