My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cloves
- 1 onion, halved
- 3 cups milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 450 g blue-eye cod, skinned,pin boned
- 450 g smoked haddock or 450 g cod
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, roughly chopped
- 350 g cooked small shrimp, peeled,tails removed,vein removed
- 75 g butter
- 1/2 cup plain flour or 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (75g)
- 200 ml heavy cream
- 1 pinch of grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 4 sheets butter puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1Stick cloves into onion halves and place in a saucepan with milk, bay leaf and fish.
- 2Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 8 minutes.
- 3Remove fish with fish slice and cool slightly.
- 4Strain cooking liquid into a jug, discard solids.
- 5Flake fish into large chunks, discarding any bones, then season.
- 6Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat.
- 7Add flour and cook, stirring for 1-2 minutes.
- 8Add reserved liquid and cook, stirring until mixture starts to thicken.
- 9Add cream and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 10Add nutmeg and herbs, then season.
- 11Pour over fish, then cool.
- 12Preheat oven to 180oC.
- 13Pour mixture in four 500ml pie dishes.
- 14Cut 1cm-wide strips from the edge of pastry sheets.
- 15Press around rims of dishes and brush with a little water.
- 16Cut off any excess pastry.
- 17Cut 2 small slashes in tops for steam.
- 18Brush pastry with egg and bake for 25 mintues or until pastry is risen and golden.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Old Fashioned Fish Pie
Serving Size: 1 (904 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2234.4
- Calories from Fat 1281
- Total Fat 142.3 g
- Saturated Fat 51.0 g
- Cholesterol 613.5 mg
- Sodium 1941.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 136.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 99.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: