Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Growing up we had this pie every year at Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's simple but decadent. If you've never had Custard Pie before, it's a little bit like Creme Brulee in a pie crust. This is wonderful served chilled with REAL whipped cream. Enjoy.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, sugar and salt.
- Slowly whisk in scalded milk a little at a time to prevent cooking the egg mixture.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour, through a sieve, into the unbaked pie shell.
- Sprinkle top with ground nutmeg.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Filling will look wobbly but will set up as it cools.
- Chill thoroughly and serve with whipped cream.
I plan to eat one whole tartlet followed by lunch. I'm one that's in full control of myself. Right?!? Made for PAC Spring 2011.