Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
An adapted recipe from an old magazine clipping. Don't know the source. My husband makes this but likes to add hot sauce to heat it up. Freezes well.
- 8 cups water
- 8 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 lb carrot (chopped or sliced)
- 6 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cabbage, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, diced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen baby lima beans
- 1⁄4 cup barley
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (17 ounce) can English peas, drained
- 1 (12 ounce) canshoepeg whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 -2 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 lbs fresh crabmeat, drained, flaked and picked over
- hot sauce, to taste
- Add the water and bacon to a large pot; bring to boiling; let cook for 20 minutes.
- Add in next 9 ingredients; return to boiling and cook 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add in peas, corn, and seasoning (for seasoning, start low and add according to your taste).
- Return to boiling.
- Add crabmeat; cook until heated through.
- Check seasoning and adjust to taste--we usually add hot sauce.