Recipe by Aroostook
This healthy (no salt, no sugar added)breakfast is "fast" food at it's best. Together golden raisins, apricots and cranberries make a colorful compote. For make ahead meals, place oatmeal/compote layers in individual covered containers and refrigerate (or pop a few in the freezer) until ready to reheat in the microwave. We serve this topped with warm milk or cream. What a great way to start the day!
Top Review by MizEmerilLagasse
I use to make this for a client I had when I was personal cheffing and catering. She was trying to loose weight, but she refused to give up flavor. This recipe was great for that, and it was easy because all I had to do was make the whole 13 servings of the fruit compote, refrigerate it, make individual servings of the oatmeal, and only use what I needed of the compote. My client really seemed to enjoy it, and she ended up loosing the weight she wanted. :)
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup dried apricot (snipped small)
- 1 cup dried cranberries or 1 cup dried cherries (Substitute any of these dried fruits with your favorite if you wish)
- 13 cups water
- 6 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- This recipe makes enough compote for 13 servings (a complete 18oz container of quick cooking oatmeal); Or you can store compote in the fridge while you make individual servings of oatmeal.
- In a medium saucepan combine fruit and water.
- Bring to a slow boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- In a large saucepan bring water to a full boil.
- Add rolled oats, reduce heat to medium and stir for 1 minute.
- Cover and let set for 5-10 minutes until oatmeal is set.
- To serve: Place a layer of oatmeal and a layer of compote in a bowl.
- Sprinkle top with a dusting of cinnamon (optional).
- Serve topped with warm milk or cream.