Polish Twelve Fruit Compote
photo by Engrossed
- Ready In:
- 3 cups water
- 1 lb mixed dried fruit (including pears, figs, apricots and peaches)
- 1 cup pitted prune
- 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1/2 cup currants
- 1 cup pitted sweet cherries
- 2 apples, peeled and sliced or 6 ounces dried apples, slices
- 1⁄2 cup cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches each)
- 1 orange
- 1⁄2 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds or 1/2 cup pitted plum
- 1⁄2 cup fruit-flavored brandy
- In a 6 quart pot combine water, mixed dried fruits, prunes and raisins. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes, or until the fruits are plump and tender.
- Add the cherries, apples and cranberries. Stir in sugar, lemon and spices. Cover, simmer 5 minutes.
- Grate orange and reserve peel. Peel and section orange and add to pot.
- Stir in grapes or alternatives and brandy. Bring just to boiling and remove from heat.
- Stir in orange peel.
- Cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Now this was just GREAT! A few fruits make a nice compote ~ use twelve [actually 13 since I added some Goji berries that I had!] & you've got something that's REALLY GREAT! I made only one small adjustment, in that I added apricot brandy early-on so that i'd be sure to burn off the alcohol. This recipe helped me create a very tasty compote, great on a lot of things, or right out of the bowl! Thanks for sharing this!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm not as active here anymore, but you can find me playing at the new recipezazz.com. I'm not a great photographer, but I love to take food photos with Freddy Cat to bring a smile to people's day. I love to cook and share good food with other people. I have a very large collection of cookbooks. I used to enjoy being able to look up recipes on Zaar by ingredients I had on hand. I miss the Zaar tag game community. Everyone was so nice, and it was super fun. Ah, the good ol' days.