Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This healthy (no salt, no sugar added)breakfast is "fast" food at it's best. Together golden raisins, apricots and cranberries make a colorful compote. For make ahead meals, place oatmeal/compote layers in individual covered containers and refrigerate (or pop a few in the freezer) until ready to reheat in the microwave. We serve this topped with warm milk or cream. What a great way to start the day!
- This recipe makes enough compote for 13 servings (a complete 18oz container of quick cooking oatmeal); Or you can store compote in the fridge while you make individual servings of oatmeal.
- In a medium saucepan combine fruit and water.
- Bring to a slow boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- In a large saucepan bring water to a full boil.
- Add rolled oats, reduce heat to medium and stir for 1 minute.
- Cover and let set for 5-10 minutes until oatmeal is set.
- To serve: Place a layer of oatmeal and a layer of compote in a bowl.
- Sprinkle top with a dusting of cinnamon (optional).
- Serve topped with warm milk or cream.
I use to make this for a client I had when I was personal cheffing and catering. She was trying to loose weight, but she refused to give up flavor. This recipe was great for that, and it was easy because all I had to do was make the whole 13 servings of the fruit compote, refrigerate it, make individual servings of the oatmeal, and only use what I needed of the compote. My client really seemed to enjoy it, and she ended up loosing the weight she wanted. :)
This is a wonderful meal, filling and healthy. I used dried cranberries instead of cherries. The tart of the cranberries and the sweet of the apricots and raisins was perfect in the compote. A great comfort food on a cold and dreary day!