Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I think it's the addition of the vanilla pudding mix that makes these so good!
- 1⁄2 cup shortening (Crisco is best)
- 1⁄2 cup butter (no subsitutions please)
- 3⁄4 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans or 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats (uncooked)
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly grease baking sheets.
- In a bowl, beat shortening and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer, until creamy; gradually beat in sugars, beating well.
- Add in the 2 eggs; beat until blended, then mix in the pudding mix and vanilla.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, and the next 4 ingredients.
- Gradually add to the butter/egg mixture, beating until blended.
- Stir in the chocolate chips, nuts and oats.
- Shape the dough into 1-1/2-inch balls.
- Place on a cookie sheet, leaving enough space between the balls.
- Press the balls to 1-inch thickness (the bottom of a glass works well for this).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove cookies to wire racks.
Well oh well...no surprise here a TRUE hit! My DS wants me to give you 100 stars. He walked in the door at 10:00 and grabbed 3 right off the bat and wanted to grab 3 more before I slapped his hand away. Because I don't know how to read I purchased the wrong type of "vanilla" pudding so opted to use "instant chocolate pudding". Kit the flavor of chocolate pudding with the chocolate chips & then to top off the cookie the flavors of cinnamon and nutmeg in the background! Wow a TERRIFIC cookie flavor! Nice soft texture to the cookie - all pans baked in exactly 10 minutes. I received 54 cookies using a standard cookie scoop and flattening with the glass. So glad I tagged you in the Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup game. Thanks Kitten!! :)
You are the bestest! You have never failed me and this is no exception. I used 1 cup dark chocolate chips and took 2 squares semi-sweet chocolate and coarsely chopped them for a nice chunk component. Baked for 10 minutes and they are amazing!
These were very good. I did use less sugar as I was worried it would be a little too sweet for our taste..yum and I inverted the amounts of oats and flour..which still turned out ok, they just didn't spread out much (lol) Love cinnamon oatmeal cookies and these were very tasty!!!