Recipe by Noo
This recipe comes from Queen of baking Mary Berry. It's her version of the old McVities Abbey Crunch biscuits (now no longer in production). My children love these!
Top Review by Annacia
These cookies got 5 fingers up here. This just couldn't be any easier. I don't keep golden syrup so I used maple syrup and added a 1/2 tsp of maple extract to back it up a bit. I took them out at exactly 10 mins and they were a lovely soft share of beginning tan and still ever so slightly on the chewy side. If you have kids grabbing for the cookie jar these wouldn't suffer from reducing the sugar by a third although dh loves them as they are :D. Thanks Noo!
- 175 g self raising flour
- 75 g porridge oats
- 175 g granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 175 g butter
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to Gas 4/180°C.
- Grease 2 large baking sheets.
- Put flour, oats, sugar, bicarb and baking powder in a bowl.
- Put the butter and syrup into a pan over a low heat, stirring until the butter combines with the syrup. Pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients, and stir until well combined, using your hands to keep the dough together.
- Turn the mixture out of the bowl and divide into 28. Shape it into balls about 2 cm thick.
- Arrange on the baking sheets, but not too close as they spread! Press the tops to flatten a little.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden and firm.
- N.B. They also freeze very well.