Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A lowfat, rich tasting dessert. Don't use "diet" margarine, since water content is too high.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup low-fat milk (1 %)
- 1⁄4 cup oatmeal
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄4 cup oatmeal
- 3 tablespoons walnuts, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup shredded coconut, sweetened
- Coat an 8-inch round or square cake pan with cooking spray; dust with 2 teaspoons flour, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Bring milk to a simmer in a small saucepan.
- Stir in 1/4 cup oatmeal. Bring to a boil, and remove from heat.
- Spoon mixture into a small bowl; let cool.
- Combine 3/4 cup flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl; set aside.
- Combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons margarine in a large bowl; beat at medium speed of a mixer until blended.
- Add applesuace, vanilla, and egg; beat until blended.
- Add flour mixture and oatmeal mixture; beat until well blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. Remove from oven; set aside on a wire rack.
- Combine the brown sugar, evaporated milk, and 1 tablespoon margarine in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat, and cook 30 seconds.
- Stir in 1/4 cup oatmeal, walnuts, and coconut; cook 30 seconds.
- Spread over cake; broil 2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Let cool on wire rack.
Great dessert or snack cake that I don't feel guilty about eating. I used a healthy non-hydrogenated margarine, Splenda, skim milk, 2 Tbsp Splenda Brown Blend. The only real problem with this cake is that just before you finish a slice you already want another! Thanks much for posting this one Mike. Made for Photo Tag.
Made for Went to Market Tag. This is a nice little cake. I like cake recipes that make a small amount as there are only three of us and a 9x13 cake pan is way too much. Was able to make this gluten free by using my gluten free flour and oats and adding 1 T ground flax seed. Thanks for posting this mikekey! Will definitely make this again!
What a lovely little cake! Easy to put together and such clear directions. A nice, moist cake with a fine crumb. I had to leave out the nuts the first time, but it really didn't matter although the next time they added a nice texture. This one's a real keeper and well worth making.I know what I'm taking to the next bake sale!