Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is one of our family favorites.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup of juice from raisins
- Place raisins in small saucepan, cover with water and simmer for approx.
- 15 min.
- until 1/2 cup of juice removed.
- Meanwhile, cream shortening, sugar and egg together.
- In another bowl mix together flour, salt and nutmeg.
- Add the 1 tsp baking soda to the 1/2 cup of hot juice from raisins.
- Alternate adding flour mixture and juice mixture to creamed shortening mixture ending in flour mixture.
- Stir in raisins.
- Place batter in 12 paper lined muffin cups.
- Bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
its too strong the nutmeg i prefer to use only a 1/2 teaspoons , but has a very good and spicy flavor