Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is my version of the fish chowder from the Company's Coming cookbooks. It is the authentic "Atlantic provinces" style. Serve with Spelt Biscuits or your own.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup hard margarine
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups diced potatoes (or so)
- 2 cups boiling water (enough to cover potatoes)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 lbs haddock fillets, cut bite size
- 1 cup whipping cream
- In a large pot, melt butter. Add onion and sauté until soft.
- Add next 5 ingredients; cover. Cook until potatoes are tender-crisp. Do not overcook. Remove bay leaf.
- Add fish; cook for about 5 minutes until fish flakes when tested with a fork.
- Stir in cream; heat slowly, stirring often, until steaming hot.