I cannot believe I found this today! I cut it out of our local paper in March of 1988, made it once, we moved, and I never saw it again till this morning. It was in the basement in an old folder. The reason it appealed to me is that the potatoes act as a thickener rather than a lot of cream. And IF I recall, it was very tasty.. There are also 3 others using the same principle, but I never got to try them.(until now!) Cream of Potato, Cream of Mushroom, and Cream of Tomato.
- Wash asparagus and trim away outside of woody stalks.
- Cut stalks into 1-inch pieces.
- Melt margarine in a large saucepan over medium heat; saute asparagus, onion, and potatoes until onion is translucent.
- Add chicken broth and water,and bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes Place in blender and blend until vegetables are are pureed.
- Return to saucepan over low heat.
- Stir in white pepper, nutmeg, cream or half-and-half, and lemon juice.
- Heat a few minutes longer, but do not allow soup to boil.
This was absolutely wonderful! I didn't add the lemon, used red potatoes and black pepper because I didn't feel like running to the store in the pouring rain!This soup was real easy to make and has a great texture. I might add more asparagus next time just because I can never get enough. Thanks Mep!
Very tasty, especially with some cheddar cheese added! I also saute' a little carrot with the veggies, yum, yum!
Very good and very easy. Added garlic, put almost a kilo of asparagus, substituted margarine for olive oil and cream for no-fat yogurt. Also used the immersion blender. Light, tasty - even kids ate it, despite it being so healthy!