Cream of Asparagus Soup (Without Cream)
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs asparagus
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 -6 cups chicken broth
- Cut the tips off of 12 asparagus (1 1/2") and set aside.
- Discard cut bottom ends of asparagus. Cut asparagus stalks into 1" pieces.
- Cook onion and asparagus in oil in large fry pan over medium heat, stirring often till softened (I cover the pan).
- Pour this into large sauce pan.
- Add broth and simmer on low medium about 15-20 minutes.
- While soup simmers, cook reserved asparagus tips in boiling salted water until just tender (3-4 minutes).
- and drain.
- Puree soup in a blender (or hand blender) until smooth.
- Ladle into bowls and season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with asparagus tips.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I have made thuis recipe for years. It was in the paper when we still lived in Milwaukee. However I do not throw out the asparagus bottoms, but simmer them in the chicken broth with a bay leaf while the rest is getting ready. I then use the strained broth to complete the recipe. it does make a difference Koechin
All this years i had thought that my mom's recipe for cream of Asparagus was the winner.... now that I do not have her near me, I picked your recipe from internet and it really amazed me how creamy and tasty can simple ingredients do for you!!!<br/>Thank you for the lovely addition to my monthly routine for kids and adults!!!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am married to my partner of 17+ years. We have two little girl puppies named Keeli and Malka, and live in a century home on an acre of land near the lake. I have just discovered my love of cooking and I think this is the greatest recipe site. If you need a recipe its here. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">