Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe comes from the cookbook "Don't Panic - Dinner's in the Freezer" . It is really delicious. Good with crusty bread and a green salad. I must admit to using the pre-cooked bacon crumbles (about 1/2 cup) instead of cooking and crumbling the bacon. Sometimes it is just easier! Make sure it is real bacon though, not the imitation bacon bits! Enjoy.
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 cups cubed cooked chicken breasts
- 10 ounces chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked wild rice
- Melt butter in a large saucepan.
- Add onion and celery and saute until tender.
- Stir in flour, salt, thyme and paprika. Cook for about 1 minute until bubbly.
- Add chicken, broth, worcestershire, sherry, milk and half & half. Cook, stirring, until it thickens slightly.
- TO EAT RIGHT AWAY: Fold in rice and bacon pieces. Cook until heated through.
- Ladle into bowls and serve.
- TO FREEZE:.
- Allow to cool. Fold in rice and bacon.
- Place in a freezer bag and seal. Label and freeze.
- TO REHEAT: Thaw and heat in a saucepan until bubbly. Ladle into bowls and serve.
Very easy recipe to do. I first tried it with a wild goose breast that I had instead of chicken. If you like a wild game dinner soup...this is one to try. The second time I did this was right after Thanksgiving. I used leftover turkey. Wow!!!! it was great. Try this soup. My family is not a big soup eater but they will ask for this any day.
Very quick and easy to put together. Saut?ed chicken breasts (after a quick pulsing in the food processor) with garlic salt and pepper. Added minced garlic and liquid smoke during the simmer stage to enhance the smokey bacon flavor since I did not have enough bacon. Used Madeira wine in place of the sherry. The flavors together were truly wonderful!
This soup is delicious! Thanks for sharing.