Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a GREAT recipe that I adopted. The onions are fantastic.
- 680.38 g steak (rib steak,New york 1 - 1 1/4 inches thick)
- 6 garlic cloves, mashed with
- 4.92 ml kosher salt, in a mortar and pestle (or a cutting board)
- 177.44 ml fresh sour orange juice (from Seville oranges, OR 1/4 c. fresh orange juice plus 1/2 c lime juice.)
- 29.58 ml tequila (I would say it is not optional) (optional)
- 29.58 ml ground red chili pepper (Ancho or New Mexico)
- 236.59 ml chopped fresh cilantro
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh oregano or 7.39 ml dried oregano
- 9.85 ml salt
- 14.79 ml fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 59.14 ml olive oil or 59.14 ml vegetable oil
- 24 corn tortillas (handmade or the freshest you can find)
- 453.59 g queso asadero cheese (mild white cheese) or 453.59 g ca monterey jack cheese (mild white cheese) or 453.59 g wisconsin muenster cheese, cut into strips 1/4 x 1 x 3 to 4 inches (mild white cheese)
- 6 fire roasted peeled and seeded poblano chiles, sliced or 6 canned Ortega green chilies
- salsa, of your choice
Lime Pickled Red Onions
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 59.14 ml fresh lime juice
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 2.46 ml salt
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh cilantro
- 4.92 ml chopped fresh oregano or 2.46 ml dried oregano
- Mix all marinade ingredients.
- Pierce the steaks all over, on both sides.
- Pour over marinade, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate over night.
- Lime pickled red onions: Mix all the ingredients and let marinate for at least 3 hours at room temperature.
- Will keep for up to 4 days in the fridge.
- About an hour before grilling the meat remove the steaks from the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Remove meat from marinade and pat dry with paper towels.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cook over hot coals with mesquite until done to your liking.
- Set the meat aside and cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
- Briefly heat each tortilla, either over the direct heat of the grill or in a heavy skillet.
- Only enough to make them pliable.
- Place 2 pieces of cheese on each tortilla, fold in half.
- Wrap these (about 6 each) in foil and place in the preheated oven just long enough to barely melt the cheese, approximately 20 minutes.
- To serve, cut the steaks against the grain into strips 3 to 4 inches long and about 1/4" thick.
- Set out the fire roasted chiles, pickled onions, tortilla/cheese setups, guacamole and salsa.
- Fill the tortillas and enjoy.
This IS really great. I loved the onions and I can't wait to try them as a side to something else. Even the non-onion-eater ate MY onions. I used fresh cilantro and oregano, mexican chili pods and queso fresco. I used flank steak and marinated for 6 hours. The flavor was awesome...so much so that I felt the other ingredients sort of over powered the delicious meat. I ate some of the meat by itself so I could really enjoy the flavor. Delicious recipe! This can be a taco recipe, onion recipe or steak marinade...lots of options.
Neither DD or I tend to like onions unless they are cooked, however we both liked these marinated onions. I used low carb tortillas and low fat sour cream. Still they were delicious. Going to use the left overs tomorrow and maybe try throwing the tortillas on the grill and crisp them up to see how they are that way. Thanks for the recipe!
These are the best steak tacos I've ever made and eaten. Onions are the perfect compliment. I use jalapeno peppers and cayenne pepper since I really like the heat. The steak flavor is awesome. Don't forget the tequila. Fantastic recipe..Thanks