Recipe by riffraff
This is a GREAT recipe that I adopted. The onions are fantastic.
Top Review by jrusk
This IS really great. I loved the onions and I can't wait to try them as a side to something else. Even the non-onion-eater ate MY onions. I used fresh cilantro and oregano, mexican chili pods and queso fresco. I used flank steak and marinated for 6 hours. The flavor was awesome...so much so that I felt the other ingredients sort of over powered the delicious meat. I ate some of the meat by itself so I could really enjoy the flavor. Delicious recipe! This can be a taco recipe, onion recipe or steak marinade...lots of options.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs steak (rib steak,New york 1 - 1 1/4 inches thick)
- 6 garlic cloves, mashed with
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, in a mortar and pestle (or a cutting board)
- 3⁄4 cup fresh sour orange juice (from Seville oranges, OR 1/4 c. fresh orange juice plus 1/2 c lime juice.)
- 2 tablespoons tequila (I would say it is not optional) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons ground red chili pepper (Ancho or New Mexico)
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 24 corn tortillas (handmade or the freshest you can find)
- 1 lb queso asadero cheese (mild white cheese) or 1 lb ca monterey jack cheese (mild white cheese) or 1 lb wisconsin muenster cheese, cut into strips 1/4 x 1 x 3 to 4 inches (mild white cheese)
- 6 fire roasted peeled and seeded poblano chiles, sliced or 6 canned Ortega green chilies
- salsa, of your choice
Lime Pickled Red Onions
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all marinade ingredients.
- Pierce the steaks all over, on both sides.
- Pour over marinade, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate over night.
- Lime pickled red onions: Mix all the ingredients and let marinate for at least 3 hours at room temperature.
- Will keep for up to 4 days in the fridge.
- About an hour before grilling the meat remove the steaks from the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Remove meat from marinade and pat dry with paper towels.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cook over hot coals with mesquite until done to your liking.
- Set the meat aside and cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
- Briefly heat each tortilla, either over the direct heat of the grill or in a heavy skillet.
- Only enough to make them pliable.
- Place 2 pieces of cheese on each tortilla, fold in half.
- Wrap these (about 6 each) in foil and place in the preheated oven just long enough to barely melt the cheese, approximately 20 minutes.
- To serve, cut the steaks against the grain into strips 3 to 4 inches long and about 1/4" thick.
- Set out the fire roasted chiles, pickled onions, tortilla/cheese setups, guacamole and salsa.
- Fill the tortillas and enjoy.