Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Nigella always makes everything look great that she cooks, but these are truly scrumptious.
Make and share this Nigella Lawson Salmon Fish Cakes recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold mashed potatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can salmon (organic preferred)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted, if potatoe does not have enough, plus
- extra unsalted butter, for frying
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of, grated
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup matzo meal
- 2 eggs
- In large bowl mix together all fish ingredients with hands.
- Cover sheet with plastic wrap.
- Plunge hands back into mixture and form fat palm size patties.
- Place on sheet.
- Put in fridge for 20 min to 1hr.
- Coating mix: In shallow bowl beat 2 eggs.
- Dip fish in egg then in 1/2 cup Matzo meal.
- coat well.
- Melt butter and a bit of oil and fry till golden brown.
- About 4-6 min each side.
A good, basic fish cake recipe. Use any cooked fish, either leftover, or canned, and it will work. Be sure to include enough butter, as it helps keep the inside moist. Also be careful when frying, as matzo meal will scorch if you don't keep an eye on it. Don't skip the chilling step, they will hold together better after it. These are good with any mayonnaise or sour cream based sauces you like. Sour cream with capers, dill, and lots of lemon is good.
Really simple, really tasty! I always enjoy fish dishes that add subtle flavors without overpowering it. Only change I made to suit what I had on hand was to use breadcrumbs instead of the matzo.
simple and easy wonderfull I used home canned salmon, regular butter, veg oil and bread crumbs THANK YOU