A dear "Newfie" friend used to make these for me and I love them. Cut back on the oil in the skillet for a skinny version. To be really authentic serve these cod cakes with baked beans. You may use left over mashed potatoes but they will produce a softer pattie. Just boil your potatoes and mash them with nothing added.
- Mix potatoes, onion, parsley,butter & eggs.
- Stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Add cod, breaking it apart with a fork, mix well.
- Shape mixture into 3" patties.
- Coat with seasoned crumbs.
- In a skillet fry the patties in the oil, 4-5 minutes each side until they are golden brown.
This is INCREDIBLE! My mother,who is not a fish fan,had to have some of this,it was sooo good! I served it with homehade "chips" and it was perfect! No question,this will become a regular meal in our home! Very pleased! Thanks for sharing! 8)
These cod cakes were just wonderful. I followed your recipe exactly and the cakes had a nice crisp coating. Very tender on the inside. I served with cole slaw and baked beans actually. Cheers to the Newfie's. Thanks Bergy.
I'm from Newfoundland and wanted to take cod cakes to a pot luck, and these were perfect. The only change I made was to use salt cod, soaked, which is more traditional in my family. Thanks for posting!