Fresh Cod Cakes
photo by Sharon123
- Ready In:
- 5 slices firm white bread
- 1 stalk celery rib, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 scallions, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed flat leaf parsley
- 1 lb skinless cod fish fillet, any bones removed and fish coarsely chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- tartar sauce (See recipe I posted -- Tartar Sauce Tartar Sauce)
- lemon wedge
- Tear bread into pieces and pulse to fine crumbs in the food processor.
- Transfer a scant cup of crumbs to a bowl for fish cakes and reserve remaining 1 1/2 cups in a bowl for coating.
- Pulse celery and scallions in processor until coarsely chopped, then add parsley and pulse until finely chopped.
- Combine celery mixture with scant cup crumbs in bowl (for fish cakes).
- Pulse fish in processor until finely chopped (be careful not to process to paste).
- Add fish to celery crumb mixture along with egg, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp pepper, stirring until combined well.
- Season bread crumbs in shallow bowl with remaining 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper.
- Gently shape fish mixture into 4 (4") patties (mixture will be soft) and coat well with seasoned bread crumbs.
- Chill, uncovered, on a wax-paper-lined large plate 10 minutes.
- Heat 1 1/2 TBS oil in a 12" nonstick skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then fry 2 fish cakes, turing over once, until golden brown and cooked through, 8-10 minutes total.
- Repeat with reamining 1 1/2 TBS oil and 2 fish cakes wiping out skillet with a paper towel between batches.
- Serve with Bev's Tartar Sauce Recipe #56860.
- Serves 4.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I joined Food.com when the site was RecipeZaar, April 24, 2001. This site has been a favorite with me for many years now with its unique features and especially for the many, many dear friends I have met here. If you are a new visitor, I hope you will stop for a while and check us out. I hope you will find it as special as I have.