1/1 Photo of New Orleans Shrimp Stew
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Cajun Kitchen's Note:
In Louisiana, people make their gumbo so many different ways. It's all about what you like. This recipe is very much like a Shrimp Gumbo. It's easy to make and takes very little effort to make. We consider it a comfort food in my family. Serve with fresh French Bread and a green salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 10 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon
- 2 tablespoons creole seasoning
- 2 lbs peeled raw shrimp
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped (optional, for garnish)
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1Make a roux by heating oil on medium-high heat in stock pot.
- 2Add flour to hot oil and continually whisk until your roux turn the color of peanut butter.
- 3Add chopped vegetables and stir immediately.
- 4Reduce heat to medium. Allow to cook 3 minutes, while stirring every minute.
- 5Add tomato paste and stir immediately. Allow to cook another 3 minutes, while stirring every minute.
- 6Slowly add 10 cups of water, chicken bouillon and Creole seasoning. Allow to slowly boil for 1 hour. Stir about every 15 minutes.
- 7Add raw shrimp and simmer on medium heat for 15 minutes.
- 8Serve over cooked rice and garnish with 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped green onion in each bowl.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Orleans Shrimp Stew
Serving Size: 1 (650 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 280.9
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 143.2 mg
- Sodium 852.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 19.2 g