Emeril's Shrimp Stew
photo by Chele B
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 15mins
- 2 lbs medium shrimp, shells and heads on
- 6 cups water
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, shelled and finely chopped
- Peel the shrimp and reserve the shells and heads.
- Refrigerate the shrimp and put the shells and heads in a large saucepan. Add the water, quartered onion, bay leaves, and 1 tablespoon of the salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and strain through a fine-mesh strainer.
- Discard the peelings and set aside the shrimp stock.
- Combine the oil and flour in a large cast-iron pot or enameled cast-iron Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Stirring slowly and constantly, make a roux the color of peanut butter, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the chopped onion, bell pepper, and celery and cook, stirring, until soft, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the shrimp stock and whisk to blend with the roux. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the shrimp, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the cayenne and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley.
- Ladle into individual soup bowls, garnish with the chopped eggs, and serve hot.
- Note: The stew can also be served over white rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I like this a lot. It is much like a shrimp gumbo without tomatoes and okra. I am eating it now, and I will probably get more. I took every shortcut in the book with this. I used Tony Chachere's instant roux mix, you just add it in the liquid and mix it in. I also used 1 box of seafood stock and 1/2 box of chicken broth. Then it simmered for about 2 hours. I also used frozen peeled and deveined jumbo-gumbo sized shrimp--didn't even thaw. I will definitely make this again. Ohhh, smoked sausage would be good in this. Hmmm....Made for Everyday's a Holiday TAG
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Someone special recently gifted me with membership ~ I don't know who, but know they are special :D! Thank you! It is much appreciated.... My parents owned a grocery store when I was growing up, so there's my love of FOOD! My friends all love to drink, so there's my profession! I stopped bartending 5 years ago, when my son was born, but still 'do' private parties. DH and I did a 'Supper Club' for a while, but life kept getting in the way! I am a SAHM, to a rambunctious 5 y.o....I LOVE cooking and collect cookbooks and anything kitchen related! I'm kinda picky, but will just drop an ingredient or make a sub, so I can still try a recipe. I'm looking forward to many years of enjoyment here, and hope to participate in some events soon! Thanks to everyone for posting such great recipes, and if you review mine, just know that I appreciate the time and effort involved in the reviewing process! <img src="http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af225/z_fbp/ZaarFBPwk4.jpg"> <img src="http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af225/z_fbp/ZaarFBPwkWC.jpg"> <img src="http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/vseward/Bevy/officialmemberofthebevtaggame.jpg"> <a href="http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=220958"><img src="http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/vseward/Bevy/beveragetagcookbook1.gif"></a> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/KBparticipation.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/RSC%20Lucky%2013/ParticipationSticker.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/CookbookParticipation2.jpg"> Partnered with chef#724631 <img src="http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/Sharon123/Copyoftag300-banner.jpg" border="0" alt="Susie's Banner for Newest Zaar Tag"> <img src="http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg"> Co-hosted: <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg"> <img src="http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/northwestgal/redbannercopy.jpg" border="0" alt="New Kids Participation Banner"> <img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Recipezaar%20Album/iplaytagin.jpg"> <img src ="http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u208/diner_photos/lazymecookathon.jpg"> <a href="http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m276/ribosomal/?action=view¤t=BBB2b3.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m276/ribosomal/BBB2b3.jpg" border="0" alt="BBBZWT%"></a> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/BBG-AMbanner.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/7505/mybanner4a394ee84d5f0.jpg" > <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/holidaybadge.gif" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t237/akplongmeadow/MyBannerMaker_Banner3.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/dcmac/PAC%20Fall%2009/Image1.jpg"> <img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Banners/holidayprmr2.jpg"> <img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Banners/ST_AMBADGE.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Holiday-plaid_HPI.gif" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src= "http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt181/alligirl65/thesnowmorning-3-1-1.jpg">