Brazilian Shrimp Stew
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄4 lbs large shrimp
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 5 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 cup coconut milk, well stirred
- 1 tablespoon palm oil, don't use another, just leave it out if you don't have it. Can be found in African markets
- Toss shrimp with garlic, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper and lemonjuice, chill for 20 minutes marinating time.
- Puree tomatoes with juice in a blender til smooth.
- cook onion and bell pepper in olive oil over moderately low heat.about 8-10 minutes. Add cayenne, tbs cilantro, remaining salt cook stirring one minute.
- Add tomato puree and simmer for about 15 minutes, until mixture is very thick.
- Stir in coconut oil and then bring to a boil, add shrimp mixture and cook 3 to 5 minutes until pink.
- Stir in dende oil and remaining cilantro. Season to taste.
Join The Conversation
I haven't eaten moqueca in forever, and never a homemade version, so I was pretty excited to try this! I enjoyed this just as much as the fish versions that I've tried in the past at Brazilian restaurants, especially since I was finally able to find the dende oil in the supermarket. This was perfect with a big scoop of Brazilian white rice. I did make this with a full 2lbs of shrimp, since I didn't see any reason not to add the extra half-pound that was in the bag. I think it was better for us this way, anyhow, since DH usually leaves behind most of the extra sauce when I make saucy things for dinner. This way there was a more even distribution of shrimp to sauce. Definitely a keeper, thanks for posting! Made for Culinary Quest I
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/527607/cookswithcattitude.jpg I am a middle aged foodie who has had the luxury of living all over the world except asia. Lived in or grew up in Nigeria, Kenya, Chicago, Russia,and haiti. born in New Zealand, brother born in Austria and many more. I have chronic medication resistant depression after 10 years on anti depressants that worked well but would stop working after a year or two, so now do my best at home living on disabilty. Not a bad thing, many have far worse health issues but i have been able to concentrate on food/cooking. My main passions are my cats. I live in the woods and somehow many starving strays or "dumps" have found the message babies who passed on left in the woods saying "suck lives at xxxx road. Most arrive sick and/or starving. Right now i have 2 that arrived with feline herpes and their attendant 2ndry bacterial infections but are doing beautifully. One old man who was going to be euthanized bc a lady who found him as a stray was moving and didnt want him...well he was a biter and rather grumpy who was in ICU for 3 days with a deadly gut infection which was fixed but he left with a diagnosis of diabetes. 3 months on insulin and finally diet controlled and he caught the herpes virus, respiratory symptom version and turned into a cuddler. Butterscotch must think "why didnt i figure out this cuddle stuff was great before i got sick!" Doing wonderfully even though he has bouts. he and the other kids are my babies. Sadly Butterscotch died of Lymphatic cancer in winter of 2008. A year before Big Boy arrived in my life, starving and weak. Full of affection he jumped into my arms and stayed, turns out he has FIV (cat hiv) so he needs to be watched closely. I love him dearly <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/smPACp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Stockingswapcopy.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/cookbookswap.jpg"> <img src="http://www.caymandesigns.com/foodothers/fallswap.jpg">