Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I'm not a horseradish fan but my husband is, so when I found this recipe in a Betty Crocker cookbook I decided to give it a try. The horseradish completely mellows into this wonderful flavor that isn't hot or spicy and the gravy made with the juices is so yummy. No extra seasonings needed. The original recipe called for 1 tsp of black pepper but my family found it a bit too peppery so we cut back on that. Be sure to serve buns to clean up the plate with! We think this one is worth a try!
- 3 -4 lbs beef roast (any cut you like will be fine)
- 8 small red potatoes, cut into quarters
- 8 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) jar prepared horseradish
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Place potatoes, carrots, and onion into a 4-6 qt slow cooker.
- Place beef on top of vegetables.
- Mix horseradish, salt, pepper and 1 cup water; pour over top of beef.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until beef and vegetables are tender.
- Remove 2 cups of juices from crock pot and put into small sauce pan.
- Mix corn starch with 2 T cold water and then add to juices.
- Bring to a boil while stirring constantly until thickened.
- Serve gravy over meat and vegetables.
Good recipe! Made a few changes and it was really excellent. First I seared the roast (rubbed with ground pepper & kosher salted first) in a dutch oven so it was browned on both sides and the juices were sealed in...scraped up the browned bits and added to the pot. Cooked on high ( Not low) for 5 hours (my cut was only 2.65 lbs) adjust for bigger cuts of meat. Everything was cooked just right. Meat fell apart...Yumm!
Dh is the horseradish fan at our house, also. I cooked this in the crockpot for 10 hours but the vegetables didn't quite get done, so I microwaved them to finish. The roast didn't get very tender, but the gravy made up for that shortcoming. I would try this on the stovetop next time. This dish has an excellent flavor.