Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
From "Cooking Pleasures" magazine
- 3 cloves garlic, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 yellow bell peppers or 1 orange bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup dry light red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) cancrushed plum tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 2 (8 ounce) bottles clam juice
- 1⁄3 cup minced fesh Italian parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 lb shelled deveined uncooked medium shrimp
- 3⁄4 lb sea scallops
- 3⁄4 lb chopped fresh clam
- 8 slices Italian bread, toasted
- Mince 2 of the garlic cloves.
- Heat oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat until hot.
- Add onion, bell pepper, minced garlic, oregano and red pepper.
- Cover and cook 5 to 8 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add wine.
- Increase heat to medium-high; cook 5 minutes or until wine is reduced by half.
- Add tomatoes, water, clam juice, parsley and salt.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low.
- Cover and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cover.
- Increase heat to medium-high; bring to a gentle boil.
- Add shrimp, scallops and clams.
- Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and scallops and clams are opaque.
- Meanwhile, rub toasted bread with remaining garlic clive.
- Place slice of bread in each soup bowl.
- Ladle soup over bread.
- Pass additional red pepper, if desired.
I really enjoy this recipe. I had a frozen bag of seafood from Trader Joe's (shrimp, calamari and scallops). I used a red Zinfandel for the wine. I loved the combination of flavors! The broth is delicious! Definitely a soup I will make again. Thanks!